Authentic concrete tile began to appear around the year 1875 in Southern France in a Portland cement factory in the Lafarge area. This can be seen as the production derivative of the modern cement industry.
Colored concrete tiles were used to cover floors at the beginning of the 20th century. They embodied the creative expression of the avant-garde movement and were selected to serve as decoration in the palaces of Russian czars, flooring for homes of the Ivory Coast, Barcelona of Saudi and official homes in Berlin.
Later expanded use of concrete tiles became ground cover throughout Europe, the colonies of France, Spain, Portugal, Latin America and the United States.
In 1950 the concrete tiles had lost their importance as Industrial tile took their place. At the beginning of the 21st century there was a significant increase in demand for authentic products. Hand-made concrete tiles returned to widespread use.